what is the difference of rdbg and gdb stub provided by libbs p/cpu/shared/comm

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Thu Dec 12 20:48:07 UTC 2002

Phil Torre wrote:

> I tried it out with the 20020628 snapshot on an MPC860.  If I remember
> correctly, I was able to connect to the target via Ethernet and
> interrogate it (dump memory and registers, etc.) but I was unable to
> make breakpoint support work.  I gave up after a few days and went
> back to the BDM.

I cannot comment on this since I never used the GDB that joel prepared
integrating my original patches + many other patches. I always used our
own build using our own CVS system.

What I can tell you for sure is that :
	1) some errors have been integrated into rdbg that I hope I have
already cleaned (probably due to lack of accurate documentation from our
path although we have released the specs).
	2) I can also say that gdb 5.0 (as any .0 release) contained a lot of
bugs that where causing the host part to crash and were not at all
related to remote debugging patch. Change to 5.1 solved a lot of theses
problems especially on PPC,
	3) at CRF we were using it to debug 860 based targets *but* with data
cache disabled (due to some nasty hardware constraint not related to
rgdb). As breakpoint setting has some tricky implicaton with caching
(write breakpoint code through data cache and want it to be seen the
next time executed via code cache), it may well be that the routine used
to set breakpoint is not correct for 8XX but works for 6XX. This routine
is indeed CPU dependent.

As joel pointed out, I will probably spend some time working on that
just to occupate my brain (unemployed currently). *BUT* I will
desesperately need beta tester as I will have no target hardware.

Please send me mail if you want to help me provide something stable. I
propose to put
	1) RGDB Beta tester availiable in the mail title,
	2) How I can submit the code to you (ail, ftp, ...)
	3) The target hardware precise processor type,

Do not exepct something before say mid january as I will visit my family
for Christmas.

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: valette at free.fr