Stack size

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Wed Feb 6 14:44:32 UTC 2002

Vinod Singh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me that what is the size of TCP/IP stack of freeBSD ported
> by Rtems ? We need to know this size for porting on 68k motorola
> proccessors.
>
> Any pointer in this regard will be highly appreciated.
>
> regards
> Vinod

The full FreeBSD network stack is quite large.  Here are the sizes of an
application with:

  text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
 203152	   5600	  14160	 222912	  366c0	o-optimize/test.exe

and without:

   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
  89568	   3904	   9712	 103184	  19310	o-optimize/test.exe

the network stack.  As well, the stack requires heap space.  The actual
amount depends on whether or not you want to receive broadcast packets,
the amount of broadcast traffic on your network, how much traffic your
node will receive/transmit, how many  buffers are allocated by the
network receiver task, etc.   I'd say the absolute minimum would be 64
kbytes and `enough' could be 512 kbytes or more.

I'd like to do some research into extending the task both ways;  Larger
using the latest FreeBSD code including IPv6, IPsec, full termios
drivers, etc ; Smaller using the LWip stack for smaller applications.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.