RTEMS sound device driver

Pattara Kiatisevi pkiatisevi at student.ei.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Feb 7 23:02:33 UTC 2002

Firstly thank you for all answer.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:02:49PM +0100, Pattara Kiatisevi wrote:
> > I am going to write a device driver for a sound device to be run with
> > RTEMS and LEON chip. As I have very little experience with RTEMS, I
> > have some questions:
> >
> > Client program that will use this device driver:
> >
> > -in Linux I do:
> > 	audio_fd = open("/dev/dsp",O_WRONLY , 0)
> > -in RTEMS:
> > 	Will the above open() work? or do I have to:
> > 	rtems_io_open( xxx )? And how can I know what "xxx" should be?
>
> it depends where the device driver registers itself.  if it registers
> itself as "/dev/dsp" then the above will work.

But how exactly is this "registering" process? I took a look at the
existing driver code as suggested and draft the steps as follow.

-I create a file contained device driver's code: sound-driver.c
	-Which should contain initialize(), open(), close(), read(),
write(), and control(). Arguments of these functions = like in console.c?
	-In the initialize() I would have sth. like:

	rtems_io_register_name( "/dev/dsp", major, 0 );

-In my application file, I do open(), ioctl(), write(), close() to
/dev/dsp as usual.

-And then how can I tell RTEMS to call this sound device driver when there
is access to /dev/dsp? Something to do with
#def CONFIGURE_HAS_OWN_DEVICE_DRIVER_TABLE and I have to create my own
Device_drivers? (Hmm, but how and where? :) )

Thank you very much.

Gruss,
Ott

The best things in life are free. - B.G. DeSilva (1927)
Ott Pattara Kiatisevi 				   T L W G
M.Sc. INFOTECH Student, Stuttgart, Germany	http://linux.thai.net/