RTEMS sound device driver

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Thu Feb 7 21:05:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:02:49PM +0100, Pattara Kiatisevi wrote:
> I am going to write a device driver for a sound device to be run with
> RTEMS and LEON chip. As I have very little experience with RTEMS, I
> have some questions:
>
> Client program that will use this device driver:
>
> -in Linux I do:
> 	audio_fd = open("/dev/dsp",O_WRONLY , 0)
> -in RTEMS:
> 	Will the above open() work? or do I have to:
> 	rtems_io_open( xxx )? And how can I know what "xxx" should be?

it depends where the device driver registers itself.  if it registers
itself as "/dev/dsp" then the above will work.

> -in Linux I do:
> 	int format = AFMT_S16_LE;
> 	ioctl(audio_fd, SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT, &format);
> -in RTEMS?
> 	What should I do?

again, this is completely dependent on the device driver.  there is no
reason why this couldn't be supported.

> -in Linux I do:
> 	sizewritten = write(audio_fd, audio_buffer, inputsize);
> -in RTEMS:
> 	I should use rtems_io_write() right? And how about the parameters?

RTEMS supports write() with the same parameters.  but it is up to the
device driver to interpret these parameters.

> Device driver:
> ==============
>
> -The place that I have to put the device driver code is under
> <rtems>/c/src/lib/libbsp/sparc/leon/ right? As I couldn't find any
> implementation of audio driver before, does it have any template so
> that I could know which functions should exist in order to support the
> above client calls?

look at the other device drivers for your target.  a device driver has
six interface points (initialize, open, close, read, write, and
control).  to write a device driver you fill these in and add an entry
to your application's device driver list.  it's quite elegant once you
get the hang of it.

look in the console driver for your BSP to start.

> I'm porting Ogg Vorbis Player (which runs on Linux/UNIX) to RTEMS. At
> first I think that it could be sth. like "source-code compatible" but
> in the real it is not right?

I'm not familiar with the ogg source code, but I'm guessing that if you
can get a suitable device driver in place, it has a good chance of
working.

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com
     "In a few thousand years people will be scratching their heads
       wondering how on earth the first computer was invented and
          bootstrapped without a prior computer to do it with."
                    --  Chris Malcolm, on comp.arch