Hitachi H8300 RTEMS Port

Glen M Cornell cornell at gdls.com
Wed Jan 9 14:03:36 UTC 2002

I'm porting RTEMS to the Hitachi H8300 series processor and creating a BSP for
the Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention System.  There is currently another OS
for the RIS, but it appears to be a more simple non-tasking OS.

I have read the RTEMS porting guide and the BSP and Device Driver Development
Guide, and have a few questions about the port.  I'm using the bit, bit_gdb, and
bit_rtems scripts for simplicity.  RTEMS 4.5.0 is the source base that I'm using
from the OAR ftp site.

I've run into a problem with the configure script in the c/make directory.  The
failure is around the point where the configure script is trying to determine
the capabilities of the c compiler (around line 1251 of the c/make/configure):

cat > conftest.$ac_ext << EOF

#line 1253 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
EOF
if { (eval echo configure:1258: \"$ac_link\") 1>&5; (eval $ac_link) 2>&5; } && \

test -s conftest${ac_exeext}; then

[snip]

so I manually invoked the linker with the most basic application:

int main(){return(0);}

using the command:

h8300-rtems-coff-gcc simple.c

But the link failed because crt0.o was not found.  Does this mean that the
linker didn't build correctly?  Is this a question for the gcc team?  Or do I
not really need crt0.o?

Thanks,
glenco