Hitachi H8300 RTEMS Port

Wed Jan 9 21:21:33 UTC 2002

Glen M Cornell wrote:

> I'm porting RTEMS to the Hitachi H8300 series processor and creating a BSP for
> the Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention System.  There is currently another OS
> for the RIS, but it appears to be a more simple non-tasking OS.

Cool.. don't get frustrated.. ask questions.  I would like to see this
one
happen.

> I have read the RTEMS porting guide and the BSP and Device Driver Development
> Guide, and have a few questions about the port.  I'm using the bit, bit_gdb, and
> bit_rtems scripts for simplicity.  RTEMS 4.5.0 is the source base that I'm using
> from the OAR ftp site.

You could also just use the prebuilt RPMs.

FYI There is a BSP for the h8 simulator in gdb in recent snapshots.

> I've run into a problem with the configure script in the c/make directory.  The
> failure is around the point where the configure script is trying to determine
> the capabilities of the c compiler (around line 1251 of the c/make/configure):

> so I manually invoked the linker with the most basic application:
>
> int main(){return(0);}
>
> using the command:
>
> h8300-rtems-coff-gcc simple.c
>
> But the link failed because crt0.o was not found.  Does this mean that the
> linker didn't build correctly?  Is this a question for the gcc team?  Or do I
> not really need crt0.o?

I think the target is wrong and tricking the configure script.  It
should be h8300-rtems not h8300-rtems-coff.

But more importantly, I am pretty sure the h8300 port is not in 4.5
anyway.
You should move to a recent snapshot and use the prebuilt tools that
come with them.