ATM and FreeBSD

Thu Jan 17 16:36:27 UTC 2002

Does anyone know the real status of ATM for FreeBSD?  As best
I can tell it looks like it is there.

http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/4-STABLE/hardware/i386/x26.html#AEN1200

lists the supported ATM interfaces and protocols which includes these
protocols:

> The ATM support in FreeBSD supports the following signaling protocols:
>
>           The ATM Forum UNI 3.1 signaling protocol
>           The ATM Forum UNI 3.0 signaling protocol
>           The ATM Forum ILMI address registration
>           FORE Systems' proprietary SPANS signaling protocol
>           Permanent Virtual Channels (PVCs)
>

> Support for the IETF ``Classical IP and ARP over ATM'' model is provided, compliant with the following RFCs and
> Internet Drafts:
>
>           RFC 1483, ``Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5''
>           RFC 1577, ``Classical IP and ARP over ATM''
>           RFC 1626, ``Default IP MTU for use over ATM AAL5''
>           RFC 1755, ``ATM Signaling Support for IP over ATM''
>           RFC 2225, ``Classical IP and ARP over ATM''
>           RFC 2334, ``Server Cache Synchronization Protocol (SCSP)''
>           Internet Draft draft-ietf-ion-scsp-atmarp-00.txt, ``A Distributed ATMARP Service Using SCSP''

I still wonder if the best way to get this support in RTEMS is to
port a new version of the BSD stack.