[Fwd: Ian's unix port changes]

Tue Jan 29 20:27:13 UTC 2002

Hi,

I thought I sent this earlier but I must have hit cancel not send. :(

Thanks to Ralf, I don't have to take a trip in the way back machine
to find Ian Lance Taylor's legendary patch for the UNIX port.  This
patch uses dynamic loading to obtain access to native functions
while still avoiding namespace clashes with RTEMS implementations
of similarly named routines.  He has this working well enough to
use the TCP/IP stack with the UNIX port. I firmly believe one could
get all of RTEMS working using this as a model.

Some thoughts from memory:

  + Ian suspected that there might be dependencies on library versions.
  + Ian said you had to be root to use the special TCP/IP mode used.
  + We don't know how this impacts other ports so at least it needs
    to be disabled for them.

I have cc'ed Ian and hope he can add some comments.