web site, plus Unix target questions

Mon Jan 28 18:03:42 UTC 2002

Chris Caudle wrote:

> First a bit of administrative trivia to get out of the way: I can get to
> oarcorp.com at the new address now, but www.rtems.com is not resolving. Has
> rtems.com been intentionally dropped, or was that just an oversight in moving
> to the new IP address?

Just an oversight that will be corrected once things stabilize. :)

The last major problem was an incorrect DNS entry for mail.oarcorp.com
that was resolved this morning although it will take time to propagate.
FWIW the change doubled our bandwidth!!

> Now, on to the real question, which I post to the list in case anyone else is
> interested as well:
>
> Has the Unix/Linux target changed enough since 4.5 to warrant using a snapshot
> for that, or will sticking with the 4.5 released files be OK?

Functionally no, it has not changed.

> Second, is IMFS simulated on the Unix target?  Or more specifically, is some
> type of block device exported as an available driver in the Unix target?
> I am trying to figure out if there is a way to try out some filesystem ideas
> without having to deal with hardware block device drivers at this point.

Long ago, Ian Lance Taylor submitted a nice addition to the Linux port
that has never been adequately addressed.  It used dyanmic loading to
let us use more native Linux functions and avoid name space clashes. He
used it so he could use the TCP/IP stack.  With this support integrated,
it should be possible to access any Linux system call using similar
techniques.  Then you could treat a regular file as a block device.

I should have it deep in my archives and I think Ralf has mentioned
having it himself.  It should be an effective way to enable more
of RTEMS for the UNIX Port.