Run-time selection of pc386 BSP console

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Thu Jul 11 21:34:56 UTC 2002

On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 03:20 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:

>> Do others think that this is a good idea?
>
> Yes, but I thought I remembered a compile time option to set console to
> serial
> instead of video.  I haven't had to change any console settings in a
> long
> time, so I don't remember if that still works.
> I don't have easy access to a machine with current RTEMS source at this
> minute, but in 4.0 there were some places you could change the console
> setting
> in libbsp/i386/pc386/console/console.c.
Yes, those are the variables which I'm now poking with GDB.

> Maybe a compile time configuration setting would be enough?  You could
> put it
> the same place you set up the device driver tables.
>
> Even if you decide you really need autodetect for some reason, it would
> be
> nice to have a compile time force, so that you could, for example,
> force a
> machine with a built in VGA adapter to use serial port for console.

Right.  That's why I had the initial expression in the if statement.
The dynamic check takes place only
  if (BSPConsolePort == BSP_CONSOLE_PORT_CONSOLE)
Thus, if you've set BSPConsolePort to another value (at compile time, or
with a debugger) it will retain that vavluje.

--
Eric Norum <eric.norum at usask.ca>
Department of Electrical Engineering