network initialization hangs

Bill Butler billb at tnex.com
Tue Jul 16 14:25:43 UTC 2002

Sachine,

Hi there and I have been where you are -- a lot less hair on my head now
;)

You need to have a card that you have a driver for -- either by writing
it or using one that was already writen. Im not sure if the realTek card
you have is a ne2000 card compatible or not. If not I think there might
be a RealTek driver around but it would most likely be easier to find a
card that has a chip in which there is a driver.  You might try
searching the mail archive on the website for a RealTek driver.

I use some old NE2000 ISA cards to run the i386 code. Works great. But
you will also need to find a dos setup program for your network card so
that you can set the IO Hardware address (0x300,0x330,..) and the irq
(1,3,5).. or at least find out what it is.  The ne2000 driver allows you
to pass in the IO address and IRQ when you initialize it (see
networkconfig.h in netdemo and driver code). In my case for the ne2000
card you need to add to the structure as shown below

Good luck

--- code snip --

/*
 * Default network interface
 */
static struct rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig netdriver_config = {
   RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME,      /* name */
   RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH, /* attach function */

#ifdef RTEMS_USE_LOOPBACK
   &loopback_config,    /* link to next interface */
#else
   NULL,          /* No more interfaces */
#endif

#if (defined (RTEMS_USE_BOOTP))
   NULL,          /* BOOTP supplies IP address */
   NULL,          /* BOOTP supplies IP net mask */
#else
   "192.168.1.49",      /* IP address */
   "255.255.255.0",     /* IP net mask */
#endif /* !RTEMS_USE_BOOTP */

#if (defined (RTEMS_SET_ETHERNET_ADDRESS))
   ethernet_address,         /* Ethernet hardware address */ <---IO Add
Here
#else
   NULL,                           /* Driver supplies hardware address
*/
#endif
   0,           /* ignore_broadcast */
   0,           /* mtu */
   0,           /* rbuf_count */
   0,           /* xbuf_count*/

   0,           /* port */
   3,           /* irno */
<----- IRQ Here
   0,           /* bpar*/

};

Bill Butler
Project Lead
Sr Software Engineer
AIPCOM Inc
(972) 644-2328 (x16)

rtems_3c509_driver_attach

> result : fail to find board
>
> #if 0
> #define RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME		"dc1"
> #define RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH
rtems_dec21140_driver_attach