question about modifying BSP

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Thu Mar 7 18:05:15 UTC 2002

On Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 11:55 AM, Gerald Needell wrote:

> OK - time for me to admit my complete ignorance and ask for some basic
> help. I want to make some changes to the BSP code. In particular I want
> to modify start.S - How do I do this in so I can test it in  a "local"
> framework. that is. I don't want to rebuilt rtems and replace teh
> existin start.o until I get it right. Have I missed some critical part
> of the documentation, or is this not really covered anywhere?

For most things you can just copy the source to your application and
build it there.  The linker will then use your object and skip the
corresponding one in the rtems library.  Start.o is explicitly linked
(i.e. not part of a library) so this trick won't work.  I'd suggest
capturing the linker command that's run as part of your application
build, copy it to your own shell script and modify this script to link
your start.o instead of the system start.o.

--
Eric Norum <eric.norum at usask.ca>
Department of Electrical Engineering