NanoX was Re: RTEMS Shell

Shawn Tan shawn.tan at aeste.net
Wed Mar 20 00:55:18 UTC 2002

Rosimildo da Silva wrote:

> even quite small, i think its called 'busybox' or 'blackbox' or somehting

Think it should be busybox.. I'll look into it..

So, I'm trying to understand this..

So, RTEMS is basically a loader that will load a program after starting
up and provide interfaces for it.. So, if I want to have a graphical
shell, I should use either NanoX/MicroWin.. The GUI should be made to
load.. This will give me some form of GUI.. and I'm assuming that the
GUI will be able to launch other applications that are attached to the
romimage?

As for the filesystem, RTEMS does support file several file systems but
not natively.. This part confuses me a little.. there has to be some
form of organization.. I'm still unsure of how this works.

In *NIX, everything is in a filesystem.. devices, files and such.. in
WIN* only the files are in the filesystem.. the devices are kept
seperate.. in RTEMS?? There are devices in the filesystem (/dev) but no
files in the filesystem??

Just curious.. does RTEMS support audio devices?

With Metta,
Shawn Tan.