Wed Mar 20 12:17:34 UTC 2002

Ian Caddy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Well, I now have the SMC91C111 driver up and running in my BSP.  We are
> currently running release 4.5.0 of RTEMS.
>
> Currently the driver does not use DMA, the driver copies the packet
> information into or out of the SMCs buffers.  This will be the next
> step.
>
> With the driver in this state, I performed some ttcp testing and found
> that I get about 350KBytes/sec performance, but remember there is no DMA
> and we are not currently running cache on the 5307 that is running at
> 64MHz.
>
> There were some overruns while performing the test (the Coldfire was the
> receiver) which I expect to get fixed once I get the DMA in place.  This
> seems to really slow down the TCP stream.
>
> Also, I want to start moving the driver (or most of it) into the libchip
> area.

Great!!!  Believe it or not 350Kis not that bad for an initial cut.  The
old
KA9Q TCPIP stack port topped out there.  Sometimes improving interrupt
handling can make a big difference.  When you sasy no DMA are you
responsible
for copying data on a per byte or buffer basis from chip memory to
mbufs?

> There may be a slight delay in this as I have to go to the US early next
> week for a couple of weeks.

Where are you headed?  You might bump into some RTEMS folks. :)

> Just another note: I got the webserver application in the netdemos stuff
> working, as this impresses the marketing types...:-), but there was a
> problem with the make file (had a space on a line that shouldn't have
> had one) and the init.c did not initialise the hostname so the webserver
> would not startup.

Could you (1) generate a patch and (2) file this using GNATS?

http://www.oarcorp.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

User/password guest/guest

This helps keep patches out of my inbox and tracks patches until
myself or someone else commits it.  The RTEMS community has had
a long habit of personally emailing me patches and it not only
overloads my email at times, it prevents others from helping me. :)

Please also write a ChangeLog entry for the mod.

I am happy to teach anyone how to do any of this since that is
best long term.