GNATS for RTEMS

Wed Mar 20 13:17:49 UTC 2002

Since I said this much, let me give more precise instructions
on some of the specifics that make my life much easier. :)

By installing GNATS and treating it as more of an open
resource, I also hope others will see PRs and fix them.
Many times it will just be a way to get a fix that exists
and act as a "patch database".  But I really hope that it
gives folks ideas on projects. :)

And I hope that people will do what happens with gcc where
everyone looks at the DB and notes when PRs are duplicates,
dumb user problems etc.

> Could you (1) generate a patch and (2) file this using GNATS?
>
> http://www.oarcorp.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl
>
> User/password guest/guest
>
> This helps keep patches out of my inbox and tracks patches until
> myself or someone else commits it.  The RTEMS community has had
> a long habit of personally emailing me patches and it not only
> overloads my email at times, it prevents others from helping me. :)

1.  File the PR using the above instructions.
2.  If you have a solution
     a. use the instructions in the FAQ at

http://www.oarcorp.com/rtemsdoc-4.5.0/rtemsdoc/html/FAQ/FAQ00016.html
        to generate a patch
     b. Attach the patch.
     c. Write a ChangeLog entry (see below).
     d. Mark the state as analyzed to indicate a probable solution is
        attached to the PR for final review and commital.

3.  If you are interested in working on a certain PR, we understand
    it takes time to solve some of them.  So we added the "working"
    state.

4.  PRs will be closed once the fix is committed.  In the event a
    patch needs to be different to be applied to a release and
    development branch, include both versions.

If you do not have write permission to the GNATS DB, then you will
have to "send email to interested parties" requesting an update to
the PR.

On ChangeLogs... we try to pretty closely follow the GNU rules.

YYYY-MM-DD	Real Name <Person at xyz.com>

	* General description of patch including PR number.
	This can be short and say "fixes PRNNN reported by ..."
        if the "fixer" is not the "reporter".  Some patches
	may not even have this intro.
	* relative path to file, ... (routine name): Description
	of modification.

Note tabs are in the left hand side and the entry should not exceed
80 columns.