I'm confused by the "watchdog tickle chain"

Phil Torre ptorre at zetron.com
Thu Mar 21 22:43:39 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 04:27:58PM -0600, Eric Norum wrote:

> The delta_interval in the watchdog chain is the number of ticks to wait
> *relative to the previous entry*.  Thus decrementing the ticks of the
> first element on the chain effectively decrements the ticks of all
> elements on the chain.  The cost, of course, is the time taken to walk
> the queue when inserting an element (see the code for _Watchdog_Insert),
> but this presumably happens a lot less often than _Watchdog_Tickle().

Oooh, that's one of those messages I wish I could've pulled back about
a minute after sending it...

That's of course correct, and my bug is being caused by the PIT interrupt
nesting into itself and decrementing the delta *twice* before testing it.
I need to turn MSR[EE] back on so a higher priority interrupt can run,
but I'm not masking the PIT first.  D'oh!

Phil Torre                               phone: 425-820-6363 x234
Design Engineer                          email: ptorre at zetron.com
Switching Systems Group                    fax: 425-820-7031
Zetron, Inc.                               web: http://www.zetron.com