RTEMS Shell

amimjf at connectfree.co.uk amimjf at connectfree.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 13:57:00 UTC 2002

>Dear ppl,
>
>I'm still trying to understand how RTEMS works.. I've downloaded the
>4.5.0 and compiled it fine.. After compilation, I get a bunch of files
>in the build/BSP/samples directory. I'm built it for the LEON.. and I
>tested the software with TSIM..
>
>Now it occurs to me, that there seems to be lack of a shell.. The files
>run fine.. Even the multi-thread sample runs fine.. So, this tells me
>that the OS is working.. Just one problem.. there's no shell..
>
>Is there a shell for the RTEMS??

do you mean a unix/linux type bash/csh/sh shell ? or a GUI shell ?

rtems is an embedded operating system its not like unix where you use the shell to copy files around, edit them for configureation, etc. So there is no real need for a 'shell' as such.

Of course people have created / ported shells to rtems one of them is even quite small, i think its called 'busybox' or 'blackbox' or somehting like that, i cant remeber exactly.

>What kind of filesystem does the RTEMS use??

any you want, (or can port accross), its does have a flash filesystem and a ram filesystem.

>What's the filesystem organization??

well, as i said rtems isent unix (RNU !), its does not store parts of itself in files, the device access and other stuff is based around unix (/dev etc)

>Can RTEMS support rom filesystem??

yes,.

>I plan to put in NanoX in the future.. How should I go about placing it
>in and starting it up? (that's why I asked about the rom filesystem).
>
>Just some questions..
>
>With Metta,
>Shawn Tan.

---