malloc vs Paritions

Kiran C kiranc at tataelxsi.co.in
Wed May 22 09:08:15 UTC 2002

Hi,
How are memory partitions different from malloc?
When should memory paritions be used  and when should malloc be used.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using  one of them?
I have heard the in embedded development all memory is preallocated...
why is this so?
Any such preallocation will be a wastage of system resource,
take for example I need to process some user supplied data whose size is un
known to me
at compile time but known to me at run time....
The which is a better option ...malloc the required size 'or'
use a memory parition of with the worst case size.
Thanks,
Kiran