svme-171 target download

Michael P. Collins mcollins at anchor.sps.mot.com
Tue May 7 23:12:10 UTC 2002

Aaron Grier wrote:
> with minicom, under the "file transfer protocols" menu, try playing
> around around with the options to ascii-xfr program.  it may be
> something simple like cr/lf translation.

  I've struggled with this in the past.  At least up through minicom-1.82.1,
which I'm currently using, I've found that ASCII downloads tend to proceed
for a few tens to hundreds of characters, then mysteriously cease.  (I
won't detail how much effort I wasted debugging my console driver before
I determined that the problem was at the far end of the cable.)  A
solution is to keep another window open and simply copy the file to the
serial port from another shell.  This is 100% reliable.  You don't need
to exit minicom to use this trick.

  You might want to disable character echoing on the target when downloading
S-records, if possible.

				-- MC --