unlimited (was Re: task notepad question)

Wed Nov 6 01:18:20 UTC 2002

Chris Johns wrote:

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > NOTE: The set of POSIX keys is not enlarged if you use unlimited tasks.
>
> Does the user get the correct error code in the current code ?

What would it be and who would trigger it?  All tasks/threads are
supposed to have a key slot.

> Do any other parts of the POSIX API suffer from this problem or is it
> just threads (tasks!) ?

I think that it is just keys.  I think you can extend the number of
POSIX
threads.  But keys are different.

> This is also the case with User Extensions and the drivers table. You
> can add drivers after starting, but the number is fixed. Any others ?

I don't think this is that bad a problem.  It is just a configuration
limit.

> I can raise a PR for this and list all the areas that need to be looked at.
>
> I have not looked at the POSIX implementation so far :-). Are keys
> handled in one spot ?

As much as anything in RTEMS... see cpukit/posix/src/key*.c.  The
problem
is that there is no event/API hook when the number of tasks/threads
increases.  Look at keycreate.c and you will see the problem.