memory footprint

Wulf Hofbauer wh73 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 25 22:40:12 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm experimenting with RTEMS on an MVME147S (68030) board. I
previously assumed that only those RTEMS components actually referenced
get linked into the executable image of an application. However,
a completely empty application still yields about 62 kb of text and
2.3 kB of initialized data. The "hello_world_c" example weighs in at
a similar size.

That kind of overhead just doesn't look right to me.
What am I doing wrong here? I'm using the 20021118 snapshot, if
that's relevant.

I also noticed that RTEMS cannot run from ROM as storage for
the exception vector table and interrupt stacks are allocated in the
text (!) section. What is the rationale for this?

- Wulf