pci tv card

Fri Nov 15 18:15:44 UTC 2002

"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:35:04PM -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
> > > 2. im lost with the concept of region and partition,
>
> used for things like buffer pools, dynamic memory management, etc.
> RTEMS uses the region manager to implement malloc().

partition is fixed block allocation and usually special purpose.
region is variable lengthed allocation more general purpose.

Paritions are safe to use from interrupts.  Regions are not.

> > > how can i read/write/copy to memory (ie something like memcpy
> > > function in linux)
> >
> > I think the C library in RTEMS contains a memcpy function.  I had to
> > uninstall my RTEMS tools temporarily to make some space, so I can't
> > check myself right now.  Anyone else know for sure?
>
> memcpy, memmove, bcopy, bzero, etc...  they're all part of newlib, and
> available under RTEMS.

RTEMS with newlib and gcc as backbones has a pretty solid set
of Standard C, POSIX, and Standard C++ functionality.