Debug How to

Joe Samuel sjoe2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 16:16:08 UTC 2002

I also agree that Eric Norum's mail was more than
helpful to me, but still I'm got stuck somewhere. The
remote debugger stub prints out messages to indicate
that it has been started on COM2. But when I tried to
connect to it from my Linux host, nothing works.
I used
#i386-rtems-gdb -b 38400

  >target remote /dev/ttyS1

Then GDB just keeps mum. When I press cntrl+c it says
could not connect to remote target.
  I ensured the physical link using miniterm. What
should be wrong with gdb? Can anyone help out?
thanks
Joe

 --- Imran Ali <ali_imran at homenetmail.com> wrote:
<HR>
<P>Hey, I juse came across that documentation in the
web and now I know
that it's same as <A
href="http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/releases/4.5.0/rtemsdoc-4.5.0/share/rtem
sdoc/html/rgdb_specs/index.html">http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/releases/4.5.
0/rtemsdoc-4.5.0/share/rtemsdoc/html/rgdb_specs/index.html</A></P>
<P>I'm not in Eric Norum's, but after seeing his
advice to Joe, I wish I
had been.. :-)<BR></P><PRE>>

>Imran Ali wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to this list and to RTEMS. Please
correct if I'm wrong.
From

http://www.engr.usask.ca/classes/EP/414/lab/rtemsdocs/rgd
>> b_specs/rgdb_specs00013.html, I can tell you
that you need to
>> implement your own debugger server. But for
that you need to be a
bit
>> geeky. You'll need to search for Sun's RPC,
implement a lots of
>> things, etc.. etc.. I hope somebody in this
list might have a
>> prototype for that.  But why don't RTEMs
sources include such a
>> prototype or a debugger server
implementation.

>Are you in Eric Norum's class or just using his
documentation? :)
>I can't believe he would leave students to write a
debugger
>stub as a first exercise in a lab.
>
>On many boards, there is already a debug stub with
the BSP.  It
>is just a matter of turning it on.  On others, it
is a matter
>of providing the board specific hook routines for
IO.

>> >Does RTEMS include a RGDBSD
implementation? Or am
>> >supposed to implement my own server for
remote
>> >debugging? Please help.
>> >Joe.
>> >
>> > --- Joe Samuel <sjoe2 at yahoo.com>
wrote: > Hi all,
rtems through a
GDB server
write my on
built in debug
them? Does
server spec?

web page
Music Charts

>> >Everything you'll ever need on one web
page
>> >from News and Sport to Email and Music
Charts
>> >http://uk.my.yahoo.com

>> http://www.homenetmail.com Free e-Mail
Service
>> Visit www.schoolnetindia.com for Networked
Learning

>--
>Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of
Research & Development
>joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line
Applications Research
>Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS  Huntsville AL
35805
>Support Available                (256) 722-9985

</PRE>
target='_blank'>http://www.homenetmail.com</a> Free
e-Mail Service <br>Visit <a
href="http://www.schoolnetindia.com"