OS overhead

Angelo Fraietta angelo_f at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 25 21:12:21 UTC 2002

I have done some minor testing as I am using RTEMS as the OS for a
musical instrument.
My system has two boards - a PIC microcontroller for I/O and a 40MHz
386sx running RTEMS at 1000 ticks per microsecond.

I tested the amount of time an input went from the input of the I/O
board, through the RTEMs system through an ISR which woke up a task, and
back up through the I/O (I used a simple feedback mechanism). I measured
a 3 to 4 millisecond propagation total. (the value flickered between 3
and 4 on the oscilloscope).

I have previously measured the propagation from the I/O card to the ISR
and measured 250us (this value therefore must be multiplied by three due
to my inter-board communication), which means a minimum of 750us for
inter board comms. The scanning of inputs takes approximately 2ms. The
RTEMS overhead would effectively be > 3ms - (750us + 2ms) < 4ms - (750us
+ 2ms).

I have not done exhaustive tests yet, but I hope that this is of some
help to you.

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859