memory footprint

Wulf Hofbauer wh73 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 26 21:39:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:32:26PM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> You're on a mvme147, right?  If I recall everything correctly,
> that avoids conflicting with memory space used by Mbug.

MVME147S, to be precise. The executable there is linked for
base address 0x7000 which is out of the 147bug region anyway
(IIRC, 147bug uses only memory below 0x4000, and the initial
stack seems to grow down from 0x5fff). In any case, it's a waste
- if you put the code in ROM and copy it to RAM on startup, the
ROM space is still wasted. That data space could just as well
live in .bss and, if absolute memory addresses were required for
architectural reasons (which is not the case, AFAIK), it would be
easy enough to provide them either via a linker script or simply
by .equ.

- Wulf