Beginner Questions

Wed Nov 27 14:41:04 UTC 2002

Arun Govind wrote:

> I've heard that RTEMS BSP contains all the needed drivers for a particular board. And the mailing list contains a number of queries regarding driver related issues on particular boards. Again as a beginner, which port is known to have less such issues with boards?

This is the embedded world.  There is no cut and dry answer.  Systems
are
assembled in a custom fashion to meet the application/system
requirements
at the least cost/power/weight.  In this environment, there is no
hardware
that is not needed in a fielded system.

If you pick a self-contained embedded board with little expansion
capabilities
like the MRM332, then the BSP contains everything you can use.  If
you choose a highly expandable board as the starting point, then
everything
on the "base board" is probably supported but not every expansion
capability.
For example, there are 1000s of PCI boards.  The RTEMS PC386 BSP
supports
basic PC functionality but it is easy to pick an unsupported peripheral
board.
Similarly, many VMEbus and CompactPCI single board computers have BSPs
which
support the entire functionality on that board.  But I could add a
peripheral
board or PCI mezzanine module and easily find that is not supported.

This philosophy is not RTEMS specific, it is a fact of life in the
embedded
world.  I have consulted to projects on OS and hardware selection that
found
themselves having to balance which OS and version to use to result in
the
least development of new device drivers.

So the question is.. what do YOU really want to do as an application and
what do YOU need?

--joel