Unix Test Port

Thu Oct 10 21:54:41 UTC 2002

David Dudley wrote:

> From the documentation, I see that there is a way to build a "sample" system
> that runs under the Linux OS for evaluating and testing rtems.
>
> I currently run a Gentoo Linux system on my UltraSparc64 system.  So far, it
> seems that the Unix platform is only supported on Intel, and Slowlaris - is
> that correct?  Perhaps I'm just not doing the configure correctly.
>
> How do I configure to build a Linux supported test system?

The supported UNIX variants for the UNIX simulator port are
FreeBSD/x86, Linux/x86, Solaris/SPARC, and HP-UX.  Someone
mentioned trying to port to MacOS X recently.  You would have to
actually port to Linux/SPARC which should be relatively painless
if it turns out to use the same setjmp/longjmp format as
Solaris/SPARC and everything else from Linux.  But
a couple of autoconf macros (aclocal/*.m4 and cpukit/aclocal/*.m4)
must be aware that the host (output of config.guess) is a
supported "unix simulator" host.

Another alternative is to use a regular RTEMS target such
as sparc, mips, or powerpc and use a BSP for the simulator
in gdb (erc32, jmr3904, or psim respectively).  That actually
allows more functionality to work as it isn't faking out
conflicts between native UNIX and RTEMS.