libblock performance question

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 15 03:27:21 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

>Till Straumann wrote:
>
>>Eugeny S. Mints wrote:

>>Hmmm - it's just that protecting stuff by disabling preemption makes me
>>nervous (Joel: remember the malloc info incident?). IMHO, task preemption
>>should be avoided and only used for limited stretches of code. Is there
>>any good reason for _not_ using semaphore/mutex protection in libblock?
>>

>I asked that in an earlier response.  My impression was that the disable
>of preemption did not appear to be too long but using a mutex would be
>better.
>
>>Also, if I don't oversee something, it seems to me that just disabling task
>>preemption for mutual exclusion is not really SMP safe - is it?
>>

>It could be but it depends upon the synchronization between the CPUs.
>In the RTEMS MP model, it would be safe.

So different CPUs live in different address spaces - only one CPU would
effectively
execute libblock? Sorry - I'm not really familiar with the RTEMS MP
model, as I just
realize...

>>Then: the code sections with task preemption disabled are not limited to
>>libblock/bdbuf but extend to the disk driver ioctl() -- who knows what
>>the disk
>>driver implementor does in his ioctl() - all with exclusive access
>>(except for
>>interrupts) to one CPU ?? Of course, I don't understand the last details
>>of the code but it seems to be safe to enable preemption around the ioctl()
>>calls.
>>

>I missed the ioctl() so that is an open hole.  Where is that call?

One is in rtems_bdbuf_read(), the other one is done from the swapout task
(which is in non-preemptible mode).

BTW: it seems that "find_or_assign_buffer()", when executing the 'goto
again' branch,
repeatedly acquires the bufget_sema...

-- Till