Dual-Ported Memory & Shared Memory Support

Salman unix at gofree.indigo.ie
Fri Oct 18 12:12:07 UTC 2002

Hey guys,

I'm back from my summer holidays, and now have to seriously dig into this
RTEMS over SCI cluster project.

I need to do address translation between SCI network and internal addresses,
modification of Dual-Ported Memory Manager should enable me to do this.

But what I don't understand is the Shared Memory Support. Can someone tell
me what was this Shared Memory Support designed for ? and whether I would
need it or not for SCI network.

Aside from this, can I have your opinions on Message passing over Ethernet.
If porting of SCI drivers is to be very time-consuming (which by the looks
of the driver source code, it is), we might consider having RTEMS on an
Ethernet based computer cluster (much slower obviously).

Thanks,

Salman

Fianl Year
Computer & Electronic Engineering student

Trinity College, Dublin