serial conn

Maillet, Jean-Baptiste Jean-Baptiste.Maillet at eads-telecom.com
Mon Oct 21 10:20:19 UTC 2002

	On one box I have installed FreeBSD 4.6.2 and the other is to
experiments - boot rtems (from floppy). This second has no monitor and I
think that I can use serial conection.

	I need advice/pointer how to configure serial connection on FreeBSD
side. I meant not hardware but how to setup FreeBSD and how can I see what
is send from rtems via com1 to com on fReeBSD - any special settings in
ttys, or somthing other?

	Don't now much about *BSD (except the one I have in a Mac OS X
machine) but:
	Your regular tty sessions or xterm are virtual terminals, not
connected to an real serial port. What you need is a terminal (as in VT100)
emulation program. Here is a list of such programs for unices:

http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/terminals.em.x.html
<http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/terminals.em.x.html>

	On Linux I use minicom to "hear" my rtems target, see for instance:
	http://www.netsonic.fi/~walker/minicom.html
<http://www.netsonic.fi/~walker/minicom.html>
	(from the previous page) "... compiles and run on most Unix
versions. The man page says: minicom is a communication program which
somewhat resembles the shareware program TELIX but is free with source code.
Features include dialing directory with auto-redial, support for UUCP-style
lock files on serial devices, a separate script language interpreter,
capture to file, multiple users with individual configurations, and more."
	Since minicom actually deal with your PC's UART, you may run it as
root at least the first time to do a setup file.

	sorry for such a basic question. but
	I am new to rtems and not advanced in unixces. I cant find any info
regarding to reading from serial port on FreeBSD.

You're welcome.
If this message comes poorly/html formated, please would someone on the list
tell me? I configured my address book to mail to the list only in pure text,
but I'm afraid "it" will do whatever it feels like. And now for a cheap add: