Problem building the ss20021007

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 24 11:27:18 UTC 2002

Am Don, 2002-10-24 um 11.26 schrieb Paul Whitfield:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>Do you have a environment variable
> >>called AR set to NO?
> >>
> >>This could be the cause.
> >
> > No, all this indicates that your PATH is set up wrong and that you are
> > trying to apply a non-functional or bogus toolchain.
> >
> > Furthermore, you MUST NOT set CC or GCC nor AR, NM or whatever from your
> > environment before running configure - This definitely is wrong!
>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Sorry if my advice was wrong, but certainly I have
> always had to (on older snap-shots, 4-5-0) set either create a
> link or set GCC=cc.
Hmm, the former is true for 4.5.0 under cygwin (It's a deficiency in
autoconf-2.13 causing problems), but I doubt the latter (GCC=cc),
because GCC is an interal autoconf variable used to denote if using GCC
or not.

The symlink/link/copy gcc->cc however should not be necessary with
rtems-snapshots (Untested, I am not using cygwin.), which uses a newer
autoconf where this autoconf problem is supposed to be solved.

> Before I offered this advice I did confirm that it works!
Odd.

Apologies if I may have sounded rude, but having to reiterate the same
answers twice a week is a bit annoying.

> As for the second problem I was suggesting that there was an
> INCORRECT environment variable AR that was set to NO!
Well, yes, this indicates a bug somewhere inside of the configuration,
however this actually points at two problems:

1. Why doesn't the configure script find the appropriate ar?
The cause for this probably is lurking somewhere in Joe's
environment/installation/setup.

2. The configuration should abort or complain explicitly if "ar" is not
found.

Ralf

To:	rtems-users at OARcorp.com
From:	gregmatu at poczta.onet.pl
Date:	Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:39:41 +0200
Content-Type:	text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Subject: Re: What tools to new snapsh (was: console -- serial console)

>I have RTEMS 4.5.0 release and no this elegant tty_drv.:-(
>
>Unless you have some specific and good reasons (and if you're just
>starting out you don't) you shoudn't work with this old release.
>Use a recent snapshot instead.
>It will also help others to answer your questions: sources move.

I have a question regarding to shapshot esp. newest snapshot.

In file named readme or maybe used-tools of ss-20021007 is writen that was used rtems-base-binutils-### and <CPU>-rtems-binutils-### rpms.

Because I have freebsd not linux I found that there are sources of required binutils - but only one file , not two.
Do this are this two: base and processor specific in this one source file?

thera are not only binutils but also gcc-newlib in such 'situation'.

Gregory Matus
mailto: gregmatu at poczta.onet.pl