autoconf/automake and bootstrap, was Re: make vs. gmake

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Wed Oct 9 06:48:45 UTC 2002

Hi,

in the last months many requests on the mailing list were due
to wrong automake/autoconf versions and bootstrap. Wouldn't it
be possible to check the correct automake/autoconf versions at
the beginning of "bootstrap", with a quite straightforward
error message if a non-matching version has been detected?
Maybe this could avoid lots of frustration to newbies...

wkr,
	Thomas Doerfler.

> Steven Grunza wrote:
> >
> > How can I be certain that gmake is called during builds instead of the
> > system's make?  That may be the source of my problems.
>
> make --version
>
> If it is GNU make, it will be obvious. :)
>
> > Is there a command line option I need to pass to ./bootstrap ?
>
> No.  If it doesn't work, then your automake/conf versions are
> not correct for that version of RTEMS.

> > "Unix is user friendly, it's just | Steven Grunza
> > particular about with whom it     | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
> > makes friends."                   | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
> >   - Unknown                        | mailto:steven_grunza at ieee.org
>
> --
> joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
> Support Available                (256) 722-9985

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
PGP public key available at: http://www.imd-
systems.de/pgp_key.htm