filesystem support

Eugeny S. Mints Eugeny.Mints at oktet.ru
Wed Oct 23 06:35:32 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Carlton Haycock wrote:
> >
> > Is support for FAT included in the base distribution?
>
> Yes.
>
> > How about the disk device drivers?
>
> I think a singhle IDE driver is in there now.

Here Joel means Thomas Doerfler IDE driver. It seems that
you won't be able to use this driver since it is PPC and
MBX8xx dependent and if you are going to use another
hardware (althogh may be something changed since I
had dug into this - may be Thomas Doerfler
<Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de> may comment it  more
carefully). Also it is all-in-one driver: driver of IDE
controller + driver of hardware independent ATA standart +
partition table support(very simple). Oktet offers another
logical scheme: hardware independent ATA (ATA-2 standart,
unfortunately, without DMA)
driver, general IDE Controller driver implemented in libchip
style, separate libarry for full partition table support.
Libchip style means that such driver accumulates all common
parts of different devices of particular type (in our case
of IDE Controller) and provides simple plugin interface for
implementation of device driver of any particular device (in
our case IDE controller). In other words Oktet offers scheme
which allows you to start ATA device support on your
particular platform only by implementing 4 primitives for
your particular IDE controller (namely:
your_ide_controller_read_register(),
your_ide_controller_write_register(),
your_ide_controller_read_datablock(),
your_ide_controller_write_datablock()).

Oktet ATA support has been just recently writtent and
currently is not included into RTEMS src tree but I've
posted it to rtems-user list and will forward you the
letter privately.

--
Eugeny S. Mints
OKTET Ltd.