How to make pipe on RTEMS?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Sep 20 15:18:47 UTC 2002

Hi Joel,

> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vladimir,
> >

> > > Thank You for answers, but now I have a question about sockets:
> > > Is it possible to make a socket of type AF_LOCAL under RTEMS?
> >
> > no, it ain't. I have tried it out some weeks ago
> > because it would be a very fine replacement for
> > pipes, but it seems the AF_LOCAL address scheme
> > is not implemented in the RTEMS networking stack.
>
> I don't know if this is the problem but ...
>
> Do you have the loop driver in your configuration?

I had it configured (and in use) during my tests.

A solution for my problem really was to establish a local
server, connect it via loopback interface and perform scket
communication then. Using the AF_LOCAL address space (and
possibly a function like "socketpair") would have been a very
elegant waxy of communication but unfortunately this is not
available. I guess the main reason for this si, that AF_LOCAL
would bind connections to local file nodes, and when Eric
ported the networking stack, the file system was not yet
available in its current flexible form.

wkr,
	Thomas.

> > wkr,
> >         Thomas.
> >

> > > Vlada

> > IMD Ingenieurbuero fuer Microcomputertechnik
> > Thomas Doerfler           Herbststrasse 8
> > D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
> > email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
> > PGP public key available at: http://www.imd-
> > systems.de/pgp_key.htm
>
> --
> joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
> Support Available                (256) 722-9985

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de