m68k-rtems-objcopy and IEEE 695 hanging problem

Chris Welch cwelch at neumes.com
Thu Sep 26 18:42:19 UTC 2002

I'm trying to generate source level debugging images using
m68k-rtems-objcopy (binutils 2.9.5.0.24 with rtems diff patches).

I use a line like:

m68k-rtems-objcopy --debug --verbose -I elf32-m68k -O ieee ifile ofile

This works for no brainer programs.  On more significant programs, however,
it hangs.

I came across a reference to the problem in the crossgcc mail list.  The
suggestion was to use -O0 when compiling objcopy.  So I put together a new
bin utils removing -g and using -O0 optomization.

When I run this objcopy, it core dumps with the message:

assertion "h != NULL" failed: file
"../../binutils-2.9.5.0.24/binutils/ieee.c", line 6661
Aborted (core dumped)

Seems to me there is a bug in the IEEE conversion stuff.  Anybody know
anything about this?

Thanks much!

----
Chris Welch, Neumes Consulting, PC and UNIX Solutions
mailto:cwelch at neumes.com
613)797-7831 FAX:(613)838-5602
http://www.neumes.com