pc386dx exception 6 was Re: 4.6.0pre2 and docs released

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Apr 24 01:16:14 UTC 2003

Am Don, 2003-04-24 um 02.27 schrieb Angelo Fraietta:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >
> > :(  It should have helped if the dump had show eip so we would
> > have known the offending instruction.  Can you run this in the
> > debugger and look at the stack address there?
> >

> No - I am unable to do that
> > > I am not actually using anything in the application. I included the
> > > iostream header but didi not use anything to make it fail. If I remove
> > > the include directive, the app runs and is reduced by about 1050K.
> > >

> > I suspect it is just calling some constructor.  It doesn't surprise me
> > that the applciation shrinks.
> >
> Shouldn't the strip remove anything that is not used?
Yes, but inclusion of <iostream> can trigger inclusion of static
constructors for a variety of things, e.g. cin, cout, cerr etc.

[Disassemble your *.objs produced w/ and w/o <iostream>. This will
demonstrate what I am referring to.]

I would not be surprized if some changes to libstdc++ might interfere
with RTEMS ctors/dtors handling - An indication for this would be your
"exception" occurring before program execution enters any application
code (before main() is entered)

Ralf