select() / WaitForMultipleObjects() -type functionality?

Jason Hinze jjh at cosmicflow.com
Sun Apr 27 15:47:49 UTC 2003

Hello,

My apologies in advance if this is a boneheaded question with an
obvious answer, but I've perused the RTEMS documentation fairly
thoroughly and have been unable to find any facility that allows a task
to wait on one of any number of stimuli.

What I'm looking for is something like select() in the Unix/POSIX world
or WaitForMultipleObjects() in the WIN32 world.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to have a task wait for a message to
be received on any of a number of message queues.  If a message arrives
on any one of the queues, RTEMS would wake the task and deliver the
message.

Of course, I could get this behavior through some combination of
polling and timers or having message senders explicitly wake receivers,
but I'm trying to use the OS to abstract this overhead and/or machinery
out of my application.

To give an idea of what I'm looking for, the facility might look
something like this:

rtems_status_code rtems_message_queues_receive(
     struct rtems_mq_rcv_desc  *mq_rcv_desc_array,
     rtems_unsigned32           num_mq_rcv_desc,
     rtems_unsigned32          *index_of_mq_which_received_msg,
     rtems_unsigned32          *size,
     rtems_unsigned32           option_set,
     rtems_unsigned32           timeout
);

struct rtems_mq_rcv_desc {
     rtems_id   id,
     void      *buffer
}

So, does something like this exist?  If not, is such a facility
implementable within the constraints of the internal architecture of
RTEMS (which I know very little about)?  If it is implementable, is
this something an RTEMS newbie could successfully tackle (given a few
pointers, of course)?

Any information or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Hinze