4.6.0pre3 available

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Apr 28 14:54:03 UTC 2003

Am Mon, 2003-04-28 um 17.21 schrieb gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov:
> Chris Johns writes:
>  > Joel Sherrill wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Now we can worry about what real problems need to be
>  > > there. :)
>  > >
>  >
>  > None for me. :-)
>  >
>  > I have successfully tested C & C++ (STL) apps with this release using the released
>  > gcc-3.2.3 + newlib-1.11.0 + binutils-2.13.2.1 tool set for the Coldfire processor
>  > (5206e + 5272).
>  >
>  > I used the multilib option and built no BSPs (gmake RTEMS_BSP=""). The multilib
>  > option is excellent and removes my need to use the bare BSP.
>  >
>  > Excellent effort.
>
> Please pardon my possibly stupid question, but what is the multilib
> and why is it needed?
multilibs are a gcc feature to build libs multiple times using different
sets of compilation flags for different sub-targets, resulting into
libraries being optimized for different sub-targets.

Configuring the RTEMS source tree with --enable-multilib builds the
cpukit multilib'ed, ie. one time each for each multilib-sub-target of
gcc.

>   Whenever I've been building gcc (for powerpc or
> mips) and have forgotten to disable it, I usually end up  with gcc
> build problems.
I don't know what you are doing, but all rtems-gcc's on ftp.rtems.com
have been built with multilibs enabled.

Ralf