DOSFS bug fixes, IDE drivers and sample released

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Apr 18 04:53:59 UTC 2003

On Thu April 17 2003 2:06 am, Victor V. Vengerov wrote:
> I agree, it is reasonable to flush buffers when file closed. People may
> expect that data synchronized when file closed.
> Any opinions?

Since no one else has offered any...
Requiring explicit synchronization is fairly standard behavior, I see no
reason to modify close().  I think some people get caught off guard
because Microsoft DOS did not seem to have a filesystem cache, and even
today Windows operating systems seem to always flush operations to floppy
disks.  Of course if you power down a machine immediately after a write()
call you will often see disk corruption, so either part of the Microsoft
filesystem layer or the Microsoft applications treat floppy disks
differently than non-removeable disks.  Anyone used to working on POSIX
style operating systems is of course accustomed to mounting and unmounting
disks, so I don't think it will be a surprise.

--
Chris Caudle