RFC: Removal of HPPA Port from CVS Trunk

Wed Aug 20 19:45:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

As much as I hate to see anything go, I think this port has outlived
its usefulness.  The PA-RISC architecture is on it wane in general
but never really had any embedded market share as far as I could tell.

Please sit quietly while I eulogize. :)

I fondly remember writing this port with Tony Bennett
in 1994 at Division.  This port was used as the basis for the PixelFlow
system which was a massively parallel OpenGL rendering system.  At
SIGGraph, it was the fastest renderer at that time and could do heads
up displays.  Tony has since gone on to do great work at NVidia where I
am pretty sure he worked (works?) on the Linux drivers.

Now is the time to speak, otherwise, it will disappear shortly.