patching GCC 3.2.2 for RTEMS

Fri Aug 22 19:03:27 UTC 2003

Harris, Andrew wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm trying to build the cross compilation tools for linux as specified in
> the "Getting Started with RTEMS for C/C++ Users" guide, Edition 4.6.0pre4,
> for 4.6.0pre4 dated 25 January 2003.
>
> I am trying to follow the section 4.1.3 "Applying RTEMS Patches", the Apply
> RTEMS Patch to GCC part.
>
> I don't use "patch" very often, but I believe there was an error because of
> the following output:
>

> --- begin output
>
> [harriaj1 at pryor]$ cat ../../archive/gcc-3.2.2-rtems-20030326.diff |
> patch -p1

$ tar xjf .../gcc-3.2.2.tar.bz2
$ cd gcc-3.2.2
$ cat
/usa_usr1/ftp/pub/rtems/snapshots/c_tools/source/gcc-3.2.2-rtems-20030326.diff
| patch -p1
patching file boehm-gc/configure.in
patching file gcc/ChangeLog
patching file gcc/config/arm/rtems-elf.h
patching file gcc/config/arm/t-rtems
patching file gcc/config/i386/i386.c
patching file gcc/config.gcc
patching file libffi/configure.in
patching file libjava/configure.in
patching file libstdc++-v3/include/bits/locale_facets.tcc

$ patch --version
patch 2.5.4
Copyright 1984-1988 Larry Wall
Copyright 1989-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

I don't see anything different.  Does anyone else?

> patching file boehm-gc/configure.in
> patching file gcc/ChangeLog
> patching file gcc/config/arm/rtems-elf.h
> can't find file to patch at input line 78
> Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |diff -uNr /usr1/rtems/work-tools/original/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems
> gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems
> |--- /usr1/rtems/work-tools/original/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems  Wed
> Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
> |+++ gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems   Wed Mar 26 14:09:37 2003
> --------------------------
> File to patch:
> Skip this patch? [y]
> Skipping patch.
> 1 out of 1 hunk ignored
> patching file gcc/config/i386/i386.c
> patching file gcc/config.gcc
> patching file libffi/configure.in
> patching file libjava/configure.in
> patching file libstdc++-v3/include/bits/locale_facets.tcc
> [harriaj1 at pryor]$
> [harriaj1 at pryor]$ patch --version
> patch 2.5.4
> Copyright 1984-1988 Larry Wall
> Copyright 1989-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> You may redistribute copies of this program
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
>
> written by Larry Wall and Paul Eggert
> [harriaj1 at pryor]$
>
> --- end output
>
> I am not sure what's wrong.  I tried both the gcc-3.2.2 tar file from the
> GNU site, as specified in the getting started manual instructions, but also
> noticed that the same components were available at ftp.rtems.com (note that
> the instructions in the getting started manual are incorrect because
> ftp.oarcorp.com gave me connection refused).

Right.  All oarcorp.com references should already be changed to
rtems.com in the source.  We just need to regenerate them with the
next spin.

> I am wondering if I might have an older version of "patch" or some other
> dumb problem.  Or perhaps I'm not using "patch" correctly?

I don't see anything obvious.  What host are you on?  You could just
download the tool binaries and skip all this.