MVME2304 Exception 3

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon Aug 18 19:16:54 UTC 2003

Exception 3 means that the MMU has no mapping (DBAT or
page hash table entry) to access the desired address in
the desired way (read vs. write).

Joel is right - most likely, the memory size is
not guessed accurately.

Paul - can you, please, provide a full log of
all messages printed (from PPCbug after powerup
through GeSys reporting exception 3 (including the
register and stack dumps) ? With this information,
I'll be able to help you.

Since you have >32M of memory, I want to remind
you of the usual problem: gcc, by default, does
not generate far calls and hence run-time loading
of code fails if the loaded objects end up
(CEXP uses heap memory for all segments) more
than 32M apart from code they reference.
As a work around, I can provide you with a patch
that restricts memory to 32M at startup. The
patch implements a trivial 'sbrk()', so additional
memory becomes available after you use up the first
32M. This way, you can load all of your code
(EPICS application) first (i.e. before allocating
large amounts of memory). The same problem exists
with vxWorks, BTW...

Regards
-- Till