Binary is twice bigger

Dieter Schaefer CW-RTEMS at Schaefer-Comtronic.de
Tue Dec 23 12:11:47 UTC 2003

> On Tuesday 23 December 2003 12:24, you wrote:
> > > 	Some time ago I ported one of my applications from RTEMS version 4.0.3
> > > (also ported to CodeWarrior in Windows) to RTEMS 4.6 (pre-last snapshot)
> > > in Linux. I used the basic configuration (without networking) with
> > > miniIMFS with RTEMS API and without any other options (I hope so). I want
> > > to remind, that 4.0.3 RTEMS version was a "pure" kernel version yet,
> > > without IMFS and Co. As the result, I can compare the size of working
> > > binary in this 2 cases (both without optimizations).
> > > 	The size of Windows/CodeWarrior version is 173KB. The size of GDB/Linux
> > > version is 349KB - twice bigger!!!

Early this year we have ported RTEMS (MPC860 target) to MetroWerks
CodeWarrior for Windows. There was a significant difference in size too.
The 2 main reasons are:
* CodeWarrior uses *real* EABI, not just some #defines in the Makefiles
* The Linker does a real good job of dead-stripping code

And this had nothing to do with the C-Libraries, because we have used NewLib
for our port.

In case you are interested, we could go into more details.

Best regards
Dieter B. Schäfer
- Managing Director -

Schäfer Comtronic GmbH
Robert Bosch Str. 7
64293 Darmstadt

Tel:  +49 6151 4286988
Fax: +49 6151 4286990

Email: Dieter.Schaefer at Schaefer-Comtronic.de
Web:   www.Schaefer-Comtronic.de