Binary is twice bigger

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Tue Dec 23 12:29:38 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 14:11, you wrote:

> Early this year we have ported RTEMS (MPC860 target) to MetroWerks
> CodeWarrior for Windows. There was a significant difference in size too.
> The 2 main reasons are:
> * CodeWarrior uses *real* EABI, not just some #defines in the Makefiles
Please, can you describe this a bit wider? What is real EABI and what is not?

> * The Linker does a real good job of dead-stripping code
Yes!!!
I checked the map for the routines I know 100% are not called and they are
still there!
But I am almost sure that there is some flag/option or something else, that
forces linker to remove the, no?

> And this had nothing to do with the C-Libraries, because we have used
> NewLib for our port.
A very interesting issue. My previous port to Metrowerks based on their run
time libraries. So, I thought that this has some influence.

> In case you are interested, we could go into more details.
I shall be glad if you have a bit of time.

--
Dr.Leon M.Pollak
Director