another auto-tools question

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Sat Feb 1 09:55:02 UTC 2003

Am Fre, 2003-01-31 um 22.04 schrieb Jerry Needell:
> How are the distributed version of autoconf and automake built?
The RPM specs being used can be found
* in the corresponding *src.rpms.
* in the scripts/autotools directory of RTEMS source tree.

>  That is,
> what is "special" about the rtems versions that I would need to
> configure if I were to build from the sources.
The RTEMS autotools are the officially stable, vanilla FSF versions
built from original ftp.gnu.org tarballs without any patches or hacks
applied.

-> If your vendor ships autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.2 (I am not aware
of any vendor currently shipping them), there should not be any need to
install the RTEMS autotools.

To install them manually, the only prerequisite is to build autoconf and
automake with the same prefix and to make sure that these tools can be
found in $PATH, when installing them and when working with RTEMS.

The basic installation instructions is this:

export PATH=<myprefix>/bin:$PATH

cd <somewhere>
tar xjvf autoconf-2.57.tar.bz2
cd autoconf-2.57
./configure --prefix=<myprefix>
make
make install

cd <somewhere>
tar xjvf automake-1.7.2.tar.bz2
cd automake-1.7.2
./configure --prefix=<myprefix>
make
make install

We are using --prefix=/opt/rtems, but essentially any other arbitrary
prefix should do. However, using --prefix=/usr or --prefix=/usr/local
will override your vendor autotools and might not be what you actually
want.

=> I recommend to install copies of autoconf and automake into the same
prefix as you installed your cross-toolchain and to prepend the path to
these tools to your $PATH if working on RTEMS:

Ralf