Passing vector number (was Re: API modification request)

Tue Feb 4 14:29:47 UTC 2003

Eric Valette wrote:

> Sergei Organov wrote:
>
> > Please keep in mind that unfortunately you don't see all the code. There could
> > be proprietary code that relies on features you change...
>
> Using such argument, you will never change anything. I think on the
> contrary that people not submitting their code/improvement should be
> biten as hard as possible so that next time they submit (at least part
> of) their code :-)

First, there will be a release without this proposed change.

Second, this is a minor change to the API which is easy to ignore.  When
someone upgrades, they will find themselves passing a NULL or casting
the
vector number as a pointer.  This isn't the worst API change ever made.
I don't take making API changes likely and this one is no different.

I can see easily adding a new rtems_interrupt_catch_XXX and having
the old one pass in the vector number cast to rtems_interrupt_arg.
That would preserve compatability even if it does involve an
integer to pointer cast which gives me queasy feelings. :)