ISR Argument Proposal Request

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Tue Feb 4 16:47:00 UTC 2003

Valette Eric wrote:

> Wait wait wait. I do not see the need of having access to the context
> pushed on the stack for irq. I do see the need for exception handling.
>
> In most RTEMS port, IRQ handling and execption handling are unified but
> this is an error has exceptions are CPU scpecific (defined in the data
> book) while IRQ frequently depend on board physical irq routing. Look at
> PPC code or Ix86 code, they have two different API one for execption
> handling and one for irq handling.
>
> So please do not mix everything.

Thinking a little bit more, I furthermore think that the needed saved
context in both case are differents : for real exception you need a full
set of registers to try to recover from recoverable exceptions or for
unrecoverable exception to debug your application (e.g remote debugging
stuff). For irq, you only need to push the minimal set of registers
needed to call a C function (usually the C scratch register defined in
the ABI + some that you cannot avoid to use for low level (read raw) irq
handling). So if we try to define the *right* context frame, we will
never agree.

If Eric N. is listening, maybe he will comment on the various diffrent
frame pushed by a 68030 or 38040 that depends on exception number and
that you cannot manipulate so easilly.

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr