Automatic Re-Building of BSP

Don donp_news at glasscity.net
Wed Feb 5 20:20:30 UTC 2003

> Don wrote:
> >
> > Per page 31 of the Getting Started guide for ss-20021007 (which was
in
> > the "cd-version directory" release of rtems-ss-2002118) I built BSPs
> > using the following commands:
> >
> > mkdir build-rtems
> > cd build-rtems
> > ../rtems-ss-20021118/configure --target=powerpc_rtems \
> >   --disbale-posix --disable-cxx --enable-maintainer-mode \
> >   --enable-rtemsbsp="psim ppcn_60x" --prefix=/opt/rtems
> > make all install
> >
> > With this, I successfully ran the "hello world" example on a PPC2A.
>
> You have earned a beer!!! That's the first report I remember on that
> BSP in years!!!

I could certainly use a beer! :)  Drinking from the RTEMS, Linux, and
PowerPC fire hoses are just not quenching my thirst!

> Does ticker work?  That's usually the next step.

Actually, I could not find 'ticker' until reading through your
message!  Okay I did not look real hard, but I was focused on the stand-
alone 'hello world'.  Basically, I copied the 'hello world' directory
to 'RadstoneTest', changed names in files where appropriate, did a
make, and away I went.

As an aside, some of you might rememeber my post yesterday about not
being able to access registers (Till, Are you listening?).  Turns out I
was missing a page from my PPC2A manual.  Between wrong addresses (the
ports are remapped) and not understanding the PowerPC EIEIO instruction
was the problem.  This all lead to me modifying the bsp.h

Anyway .......

> > Trying to move on to bigger and better things, I found the bsp.h
needed
> > tailoring.  Some PPC2A registers are not explicitly defined in the
> > ppcn_60x BSP.  After making the changes and trying to make my "hello
> > world pluss flash LEDs", I got compile errors indicative of the
bsp.h
> > changes not being included.
>
> Are you modifying the hello world in c/src/tests/samples or the
> standalone example application version?
>
> Either way you can do a make clean in that particular directory.
> I know this is what I do so unless Ralf enlightens us both, that
> is all I know to offer.

Tried 'make clean', 'make all', and 'make' in the stand-alone directory
with no luck.

> > The way I understood things, enabling maintainer mode (--enable-
> > maintainer-mode) caused any required files to be updated when a
make of
> > the user code is performed.  Obviously, I am off base on this
notion!

> > In tweaking the BSP, do I need to rebuild it using the "verbose"
> > approach shown above?  Did I miss something with --enable-
maintainer-
> > mode?  Is there a better way?
>
> Ralf can probably explain it for sure.  But I am only positive that
> --enable-maintainer-mode verifies configure* and Makefile*
dependencies
> (those based upon auto* tools).

So, for the time being a 'full' BSP build is probably the best
approach?  I guess my concern is that there might be a problem re-
building the BSP on top of an existing version of the same BSP.  (Maybe
I am too conditioned to the Windows app approach that 'highly
recommends' previous versions be un-installed before installing new
versions.  ;)  )