Why _ThreadProcessSignalsFromIrq() in new exception processing?

Mon Feb 10 13:50:26 UTC 2003

Sergei Organov wrote:

> Eric Valette <eric.valette at free.fr> writes:
> > Sergei Organov wrote:
> >
> > > Most of BSPs do basically the same thing. If
> > > _ISR_Signals_to_thread_executing is non-zero, they set it to zero and
> > > either call _Thread_Dispatch or return to _ISR_Thread_dispatch that in
> > > turn calls _Thread_Dispatch. This is the documented way to do things. Fine
> > > so far. However, there are 3 BSPs that do this differently in an
> > > undocumented way. Instead of calling _Thread_Dispatch directly or
> > > indirectly, they call their own _ThreadProcessSignalsFromIrq. Maybe it's
> > > OK to do it this way, but the question is: why? I guess there should be
> > > some reason for that. What is the reason?
> >
> > The reason is that having a context to implement software exception (which
> > is what this code does even if not said that way and used in a particular
> > way for posix signal) is almost mandatory (e.g to correctly implement
> > signals on alternate stack, kernel debuggers, ...). So, when implementing
> > exception on those three BSP, I added the push of a context similar to the
> > one pushed on real hardware exceptions as this path is very unfrequent and
> > anyway performs heavy operation like functions calls. The normal path is
> > optimized as usual (or maybe a little bit more even).
>
> This is what I've asked about. Your words "almost mandatory" imply that the
> BSPs that don't do that are "almost broken", isn't it? And Joel says they are
> fine.

I was only referring to the processing of signals by ISR disptaching
code NOT to ANY exception handling processing.  The only requirement I
stated was that the exit patch of the ISR processing code MUST honor
that if an ISR sent a Classic API or POSIX API signal to the currently
executing thread, then that signal must be processed befure the thread
returns to its normal execution if that signal is enabled.

The comment about exceptions which might have confused you is that
some software assumes that it will get a SIGFPU for a floating point
exception.  Thus some exception handlers will generate POSIX signals
to provide a more UNIX-like environment.  The GNU Ada run-time library
actually uses POSIX signals as the underlying mechanism for Ada
language level interrupt processing.