build & c tools

Wed Feb 12 15:21:14 UTC 2003

Salman wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 10:35, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Am Mit, 2003-02-12 um 11.00 schrieb Salman:
> > > I'm using standard gnu build programs
> > > (ie automake-1.72, autconf-2.57, aclocal-1.72)
> > > not the rtems ones (eg automake-rtems-automake-1.7.2)
> > > are they any different ??
> > No, at present time, they are identical.
> >

> I'd like to know, why rtems needs to use its own c & build tools, and
> standard gnu tools (no matter how up-to-date they are) would not
> suffice.

Ralf covered the build tools so I will cover the "c tools" part.
Since RTEMS is a embedded RTOS and developed using cross compilation,
you have to have a compiler which produces the right target code.
On top of that, there are differences between the various
canonical targets even if the underlying CPU family is the same.
For example, i386-netbsd and i386-rtems are similar to and share
source code with i386-linux but there are target OS differences
which result in the toolsets being different.